What can Naturopathy do to Promote Natural Fertility?
A lot actually.
The vast majority of my patients are either trying to conceive or regulate their hormones due to conditions such as Endometriosis or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). However it is just as common for a male to have fertility problems as it is for females, making up 50% of fertility cases, so yes I do also see male patients for natural fertility management.
Infertility is unfortunately on the rise, with about one in six couples failing to conceive within 12 months of intercourse without contraception. Infertility can be overcome, even without resorting to assisted reproductive technologies like IVF. You may believe that you’re infertile when in fact you’re only sub-fertile. Or perhaps you simply don’t have the correct information to identify the fertile time in your cycle. Saying that however, if IVF is something you want to choose, I can work alongside you during this to support IVF.
What can I do to improve my Fertility?
First and foremost, if you are female, and your cycle is irregular for whatever reason, I strongly urge you to take steps to regulate your cycle so it is easy for you to conceive before you decide it is time to have babies.
Regular menstrual cycles gives you the ability to achieve pregnancy because it makes you and your partner aware of your fertile times. It takes the guess work out of contraception, and it also gives you monthly predictors of ovulation, without the use of drugs, or anything really, apart from daily observation of cervical mucous and/or basal body temperature. This is something that I can teach you during a consultation using the Billings Method as a great tool to use to do so.
Treatments usually consist of herbal medicine that is specifically chosen and dosed according to your needs. As a general rule, allow three months for your cycle to regulate before conception so your hormones are in a balanced rhythm.
It is also important to make sure the male have the highest quality sperm and encourage treatment of the couple not just the female. This will ensure for the best possible healthy pregnancy and offspring.
I will empower you to know your fertility, take the guess work out of ovulation, and give you and your partner some valuable tips on how to prepare & eat whole foods, exercise in a balanced way and generally prepare yourselves for a blissful pregnancy, a natural birth and beautiful healthy baby.
Some tips for now include:
- Include 5 serves of fresh vegetables and 2 serves of fruit (preferably organic) in your daily diet. Make a rainbow on your plate! E.g. Spinach, kale, blueberries, tomatoes, pomegranate, acai, purple carrots, sweet potato, strawberries, celery, watermelon, asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, lemons. Aim for at least 3 different colours in each meal.
- Eat small protein portions (palm sized amount of meat/fish/tempeh/nuts) with each main meal. Proteins are the building blocks for all cells in the body and are low-GI, keeping you fuller for longer.
- Eat 2-3 serves of good fats daily, e.g. coconut oil, real butter (not softened with canola), deep sea oily fish, and avocadoes.
- Avoid refined sugars, packaged foods, and tinned foods. Instead, prepare food using real ingredients at home and take morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea with you for the day. Sugars act as a stress on the body, so it is best to stick to natural sweeteners such as stevia if you feel you need to sweeten food/drinks.
- Exercise for 30 minutes daily. Walking, swimming, yoga, pilates, bike riding.
Now is the time to take steps towards creating the best, vital YOU that you can be. Start today.
For more information or to book an appointment click here