Written by Alida Fullagar (Naturopath)
What is Detox? And why do you need to detox?
Detoxification is a process that your body undertakes every day to help eliminate toxins and restore a healthy balance. You are constantly being exposed to toxins in your environment, as well as creating them within. Undertaking a Health Reset will help support your body to effectively and efficiently eliminate toxins, and increase its toxin resistance — intern making you feel healthier!
Signs you may need to detox:
- Digestive symptoms such as indigestion, constipation, diarrhoea, stomach pain, bloating, feeling sluggish or nauseous after eating
- Recurrent headaches
- Muscle aches and weakness
- Nerve pain or numbness
- Recurrent colds and infections
- Poor memory recall and concentration
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Anxiety and mood changes
- Hormonal problems such as PMS, or heavy, painful and irregular periods
Toxin Burden vs. Toxin Resistance
Toxin burden refers to your level of exposure to toxins, which may be present in foods, including food additives and preservatives, as well as exposure to cigarette smoke, pollution and chemicals. Toxins can also be created internally if there is an imbalance of healthy bacteria in the digestive tract or a sluggish bowel. Sometimes you may be exposed to different toxins, but your body may not be well-equipped to handle the load. Toxin resistance refers to how well your body is able to process and eliminate everyday toxins. A personalised detoxification program will help you balance both of these factors to achieve optimal benefit. You will be given the tools and knowledge to reduce the toxin burden on your body, and increase your toxin resistance and efficiency and eliminatory pathways such as your digestive tract, liver and kidneys.
Detox Your Diet and Lifestyle
Some simple yet effective guidelines for a successful detoxification program include:
- Always chose fresh, seasonal fruit and vegetables, buy organic produce where you can. Avoid processed or packaged foods.
- Remove foods containing artificial colours, flavours, additives, stabilisers and flavour enhancers, as well as foods containing hydrogenated fats.
- Rest, relaxation and exercise are all important factors in a Health Reset Program. In addition, support your mental health and wellbeing by identifying ways in which help you to relax and reduce feelings of stress. Some examples could be reading, meditating, journaling or walking.
Detox Tip: Get Moving!
Exercise can assist with a detox, as it energises the body, encourages elimination of toxins through swear and improves circulation and oxygen delivery to your cells. It also helps your lymphatic system to move internally created wastes around your body, so they can be eliminated too. Moderate exercise, such as brisk walking or swimming, three times per week during your Health Reset Program will support your detoxification process.
A Detox to Suit Your Needs
Our Health Reset Program is tailored specific to you and your presenting symptoms, personal medical history and influencing factors.
If you are wanting some more easy and helpful detox tips, why not head to the our Absolute Body Health Instagram page @absolute_body_health or if some/all of the above symptoms sound like you and you are ready to get your health on the right track this year, then book an appointment with Alida our detox naturopath!
Book online or call the clinic on 9886 1059 today!